Pages

Friday, January 25, 2013

Learning to Sew...Part 2

This week was Reyna's big week - tackle Grandma's Viking and the dreaded serger. I was excited to see how she would do, given her success last week at wielding big girl scissors, a needle and thread and straight pins.

We worked in my craft room this week.  I set up the sewing machine, using a plastic bin under the presser foot on the floor so she could reach it.  I did the same set-up with the serger presser foot.

She did not disappoint.  Right out of the gate, she had a very relaxed sewing style - not intimidated in the least by the sewing machine...or the serger. In both cases, her speed was moderate and steady.


I think it took me months before I could sew a seam this straight at her age.  Like I said, she's a natural!! I will say that the hot iron set her back a little, but it is important to learn to "press as you go".

 
Next week she will be on her own to finish all the seams in her gored skirt.
 
 
 
Laurel. Yeah Baby!

4 comments:

  1. Your granddaughter is adorable. You're providing moments with grandma that she'll never forget.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's amazing! She's got a gift, alright. Did you say that she is 9? I'm wondering what would be a good age to teach my children, although I realize it depends a lot on the individual child. I just received a serger and need to learn to use it. Maybe I'll find some tips here. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I sew, but I admit I don't know what you are talking about when you talk about a seperate serge peddle. What is up with that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reyna is doing a great job! Her little purple gored skirt is looking fabulous...and will go perfectly with her purple top that has the bling heart. Grandma memories...Creative Hearts are Happy Hearts.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I appreciate all those who share and leave their comments very much. Laurel

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...