Pages

Saturday, January 7, 2012

Chasing Victoria

Over the years I have read many magazines.  Some issues I have kept, largely those that have recipes that I want to make some day.  When we moved into our retirement hacienda, I did in fact toss boxes of Bon Appetit, Food and Wine, and other foodie magazines that I had saved for years, and, I might add, rarely cooked any of the recipes. 

Generally, after the year's subscription to a magazine is finished, I usually let it run out, as I am bored with the lack of content and overabundance of advertisements.

There is one exception:Victoria Magazine, published since the mid 1980's, and I have subscribed since 1989.  They stopped publishing Victoria for a few years in the mid 2000's and I was devastated, but rejoined when they started the press rolling again.  My mother first introduced me to Victoria, and she handed down her collection...and I have saved them all!

It's not so much that I love the Victorian era, or tea parties, or funky vintage clothing. Where Victoria started out with that theme, it evolved into a intriguing peak into the lives of amazing women, what they do, what they like, how they create...all exquisitely captured through the lenses of very talented photographers.  Who doesn't want a bed and breakfast...or at least stay in one? Who doesn't dream of owning a cute little shop full of antiques, lace and china?


And that's the hook: I can sit with a Victoria over a cup of coffee and dream about the things I could do, the changes I could make to my home, my lifestyle, and my creative pursuits.  I get lost in the beauty of it all, and let's face it, no one can make life prettier than Victoria.

Here's the reality:  my home is a Spanish style ranch house with a courtyard.  It doesn't snow here, my garden is lacking English randomness, and I decorate in bold purples and olives.  Hardly the Victoria style.  But it is beautiful, cozy and full of artistic touches that are all mine. It sings. 

After perusing the January issue with it's stunning pictures of "white" stuff, I realized that I too can create a Victoria moment.  I grabbed my camera and snapped some artsy pics, just to prove to myself that a picture does indeed say a thousand words and my stuff is worthy of a magazine page.



Pretty, pretty....
But in the end, it's just a picture...a photograph exquistly lighted and perfectly exposed.

Out of range of the camera lense there are dishes in the sink, cat hair on the sofa pillows and soap scum in the shower. Ah...if only life were as beautiful as Victoria...meawhile, take a few photos and dream.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my blog. I appreciate all those who share and leave their comments very much. Laurel

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...