Pages

Saturday, January 2, 2010

Writing..because I have to...

There are few things in life that mean more than self-expression -whether through the beauty of music, the lens of a camera, the paint on a canvas, the stitch on fine silk, the twisting of sterling silver wire on a glass pendant or the swirl of dark chocolate ganache on a fresh cake. Though all of these creative forms come in and out of my life on a regular basis, writing is a passion that I have largely kept to myself. True, I write an occasional article for the women's newsletter at church, an annual Christmas letter which is often "over the top" and sometimes slightly irreverant, and a not so daily journal to God.

My piano teacher once told me that we play a musical instrument to be heard...when we have music in our hearts we HAVE TO SHARE IT. Thus, writers write to be read. Why I think that anyone will read my musings is noteworthy..it says something of my level of self-doubt and fear. In fact, I don't consider myself an avid reader - I get bored with certain writing styles and will drop a book on the floor if it doesn't hold my interest in the first five pages. And I rarely read blogs as most are very self-involved and trite. But if I'm going to criticize, then I should only be allowed to do so if I myself become the dreaded blogger.

So....on this second day of January, 2010, I begin to write. I write because I have to, whether anyone trips over my blog or not. Just do it, Laurel...just do it.

3 comments:

  1. CONGRATULATIONS on "just doing it." When I tried to start my first novel, I thought I had to know exactly where I was going before starting. I found I didn't -- couldn't -- know. So, instead of giving up, in time, I just started. WWW.JOHNPOSWALL.COM and two novels is the result. And...here YOU are at the beginning. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are holding my interest and I was smiling the whole time I was reading!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You rock, Laurel! Your creativity just continues to flow out in so many mediums. You're an inspiration to me!
    See you in 2010!
    Rhonda

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I appreciate all those who share and leave their comments very much. Laurel

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...