Pages

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Rainy Leap Day...

Just because it's February 29th, and someday I will be looking back on my blog and reminiscing, I wanted to post today. After all, it only comes around every four years.  I first learned about Leap Year at an early age.  My Dad had two uncles who helped raise him, as his own father died when he was just a child.  These two men lived on the ranch where Dad was born, served in the military in first "big one" (WWI) and never married. Bachelors, I guess?

Uncle Arthur was born on Leap Year Day, which as a young girl, explained to me why he might be so weird.  He had a huge wart (or some kind of obnoxious, bulby growth) on his index finger and he would shake it in my face every time I saw him, pretending to squeeze it like it might explode...and every time, it would scare the crap out of me. Then he'd laugh and remind me that he was only 15 or something, because he only had a birthday every four years, and wasn't that special? Creeped me out. He had weird yellow teeth too...shiver...

So today is Uncle Aurthur's birthday (he was 18 when he died), and rather than examine my own moles and freckles in his honor, I thought of others things to do in honor of Leap Year Day. Truthfully, it's our first rainy day here in the Valley for quite some time. Forgetting the Leap Year Day thing, what kinds of things make a rainy day special?

Well, first I'd crank up the Keurig...

Start a pot of pinto beans (come to think of it, Uncle Arthur did make a mean pot of beans)

Maybe finish a yummy warm scarf?

You could lay on the couch with your Nook, Laurel...

Or start the new quilt you've been thinking about...

If you could figure out where to go from here, you could work on this stupid bracelet...

Or practice your Sonata in G...


So many things, so little time. I better get busy doing something before Leap Year Day is over! I wonder if the hubby wants to go for a drive in the rain? Lemme check...whoops...he's in his "chair", snoring on this lazy morning...wait...what's that? That's NOT a wart is it???

  What are you doing on Leap Year Day??



Laurel

2 comments:

  1. I had an uncle like this. Check and see if it's a wart. I'll wait. Okay...was it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope...I was just hysterical remembering the wierd uncle today...LOL!~

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I appreciate all those who share and leave their comments very much. Laurel

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...