Pages

Friday, October 5, 2012

Fit for a Queen...

...maybe a slight exaggeration, but nevertheless, the guest room at the Hacienda is much improved. I wanted to give it a cohesive, inviting look without spending an arm and leg on new bedding, lamps etc. The trick to redecorating on a budget is the take the items that you already have and add a few new things and/or re purpose the old ones.

For instance, I bought this antique brass bed from a dealer friend of my Mom's back in the late 60's.  It's actually the foot board for a bed, but I have used it as a headboard for years.  I was just about ready to junk it, as part of my new "personal divestiture" project (remember that I am getting rid of stuff I don't want or need anymore?).  However, if I junked it, then what would I use for the guest bed? So it stays.


Since the walls of the room are a nice soft sage green, I really didn't want to re-paint...not to mention I hate painting.  When we first moved into the Hacienda, this green was in my palette of colors used in the whole house, along with an aubergine, a terra cotta shade and a neutral tan. We have some touches of turquoise/blue (i.e.  a spattering of Mexican floor tiles and our iron entry gate), so I thought about just adding a soft blue to the room.

I have had blue and white ceramic accessories forever and I drag them out every once in a while when I'm feeling shabby chic. I added some dried lavender to the little jar for a restful feel.


I found these dried hydrangeas in the kitchen...looks like the perfect colors.


Hidden in my closets, I have artworks that I'm tired of...periodically I trade them out for a change in my decor.  This Asian watercolor on rice paper is really old, and I have almost junked it several times, but it looks like it might be nice in this room AND Bingo! It's blue!


I already had a sage green quilted coverlet, so I shopped around for some bedding accessories.  I got the shams at Home Goods for $10 on sale and the pillow at TJ Maxx for $15.


Bedding is so important in a guest room. I picked up some sheets while I was at Home Goods in a yummy pale blue.  They didn't have a good selection of bed skirts but I found one in the right hue at Target ($28).  I also wanted a soft throw for the top of the bed and I found this bargain at TJ Maxx...so cuddly and inviting and it was only $20...maybe a cup of tea and an afternoon nap here??



The Hacienda is in need of new carpeting in the three bedrooms...the wool Berber the previous owners put in is like iron, but when it gets soiled, it's tough to get clean.  New carpeting isn't on the horizon this Fall so I needed to improvise by drawing your eyes off the carpet - area rugs are the solution, and what better place to find some "reasonable" rugs than Lowe's.  I got three soft green shag area rugs for about $90.

I picked up some soft blue woven curtains at Target ($15) and hung them on the existing rod. The window previously had sheer sage green swags tied in a knot and loosely draped over the rod.  I cut one in two pieces and made hanging sheers for the center part of the window to give the room a soft glow.

The result of my guest room re-do was awesome.  I ended up with a very calm ambiance for not too much money.  I spent a little over $200 for the entire look. Lot's of running around, but well worth it, don't you think?


Ready for visitors:)

 
Laurel. Where's Kate???

1 comment:

  1. This looks like a very restful color scheme. Truly fit for a queen, or the guy who wants to sleep with one.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my blog. I appreciate all those who share and leave their comments very much. Laurel

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...