Pages

Friday, May 15, 2015

Celebrating women...

Most of my friends are probably getting tired of my raves about Women's Empowerment, the organization that takes up much of my free time. I'm not sure I've ever been so wrapped up in seeing the success of so many women, so it's difficult NOT to share it to anyone who will listen.

Those who have known me for a long time know that I struggled in my younger years, just like many of the women who work to make a better life for themselves through Women's Empowerment. I was never homeless, but I wasn't a very successful husband picker (before my sweet Dave) and I surely wasn't particularly smart in other life choices. In truth, I'm not sure what separates me from these women, why I was spared from a downward spiral of my own creation. Perhaps because I had a strong family support system, something many of these women lack. It wasn't luck or karma, I'm sure, but most likely a merciful God who watched out for me before I ever knew Him.

Regardless of how I got here, it gave me a heart for these women.  From my reception desk, I see them walk into WE in the midst of their own personal storm and walk out months later with a new self-confidence and renewed hope.  We are their support system, their cheerleaders, their teachers, their mentors. They learn to smile all over again, and I am moved.

Last night we celebrated their successes and achievements at WE's annual gala. If I could have captured a photo of all 100 of them I would have.

What a night! 
What special women! 
MAGIC!!!











I am humbled that they call me friend.

Laurel

1 comment:

Thanks for visiting my blog. I appreciate all those who share and leave their comments very much. Laurel

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...